surf_SunnyHappyLove

surf_akai

surf_aweles

surf_grassland

surf_pox

surf_thegloaming

surf_fruits

surf_vegetables

There are some more maps that I know, but I forgot the names. I will post here if I remember.

An important thing to clarify here is what your goal is with the rtv server. If the goal is rather loose of just wanting a place where people can go to play just about any map while being connected to the MakoGaming community, then the solution is quite simple. Get every single map released or at least every single half decent one and put it on the server. 

The other, more realistic goal as far as I can tell, is that you want a place where people can go play diverse maps but still have a chance at beating them. Basically, it's more broadly aimed to attract players. If this is the goal, then you need to consider what difficulty and quality of maps you're going to allow on the servers. It doesn't take much research to realize that every community finds their main player base on the low tier servers (Usually tier 1-2, but some do tier 1-3 or only tier 1 maps). Even on the outliers like the tier 1-3 servers or tier 1-6 servers what usually tends to populate the server is a favouring for more easy/high-quality maps by the players themselves. Obviously, someone isn't going to stay on a server where they can't complete a map for multiple rotations/have to play maps that are poorly made and/or unfun.

Before giving my own proposal I'll just quickly tier the maps that have already been posted

utopia Tier 1

mesa  Tier 1

kitsune  Tier 1

kitsune 2 Tier 3

surf_beginner  Tier 1

surf_rookie  Tier 1

Air Control  Tier 1

Life of Duck Tier 2 

Surf Ace  Tier 2

surf_lux  Tier 1 

surf_rebel  Tier 1

surf_SunnyHappyLove Tier 2

surf_akai Tier 1

surf_aweles Tier 1

surf_grassland  Tier 2

surf_pox  Tier 1

surf_thegloaming  Tier 2

surf_fruits  Tier 2

surf_vegetables Tier 2

Now, my inferred guess from the way I perceive the management of MakoGaming is that you're probably looking for the type of server that would bring the most players. As I previously mentioned what seems to be the best way to achieve that is to run very easy, low tier maps of mostly/solely high quality. To give you an idea of the amount of maps we realistically have to work with, I'll list just about every single, not completely terrible, tier 1-2 surf maps.

Tier 1 

surf_aircontrol_ksf    
surf_akai_final    
surf_andromeda    
surf_aser    
surf_aweles    
surf_beginner    
surf_borderlands    
surf_calycate2    
surf_calycate_ksf    
surf_chaos_fix    
surf_colum_2    
surf_colum_up    
surf_crzyfrog_reloaded    
surf_derpis_ksf    
surf_elites_v2_fix    
surf_forbidden_ways_ksf
surf_forgotten    
surf_frost    
surf_horizon_njv    
surf_how2surf    
surf_kitsune_fix    
surf_lament_n2p    
surf_leet_xl_beta7z_    
surf_legends    
surf_lullaby_ksf    
surf_lux    
surf_mesa_fix    
surf_mesa_revo    
surf_minecraft_2016_final    
surf_minuet_njv    
surf_mom_fix    
surf_network2008_final    
surf_ninja_sh    
surf_ny_momentum_v3_1    
surf_pox    
surf_prelude_ksf    
surf_rebel_resistance_njv    
surf_rebel_scaz_njv    
surf_reprise    
surf_reytx    
surf_rooftopsv2    
surf_rookie    
surf_simpsons_go_rc2    
surf_singletons    
surf_southpark_refix    
surf_summit    
surf_trance_ksf    
surf_utopia_njv    
surf_water-run_banjo_skill    
surf_year3000    

Tier 2

surf_2pacisalive    
surf_4head_csgo    
surf_81st_network    
surf_ace    
surf_acp_fix    
surf_aeron    
surf_aether    
surf_amir    
surf_amplitude_encore    
surf_amplitude_light    
surf_annoyance_njv    
surf_aqua_fix    
surf_atlas    
surf_atrium    
surf_benevolent    
surf_beverages    
surf_boring    
surf_classics    
surf_classics2    
surf_classics3    
surf_colors_beta1    
surf_concreteideas    
surf_coralis_ksf    
surf_dank    
surf_delight_go
surf_delusional    
surf_domain    
surf_doodles_njv    
surf_dragon    
surf_driftless    
surf_duggywuggy    
surf_eclipse    
surf_eggplant    
surf_elements_beta3    
surf_epicube_ksf    
surf_ethereal    
surf_exocube    
surf_exurbia_v2    
surf_faint_fix    
surf_flow    
surf_flyin_fortress_sh    
surf_fortum    
surf_fruits    
surf_funhouse_v1    
surf_furios    
surf_glass7    
surf_glass9    
surf_gleam    
surf_globalchaos    
surf_gold1    
surf_golden_fix    
surf_graphia    
surf_grassland    
surf_guitar_hi    
surf_halloween_tf    
surf_happyhands    
surf_hurrr    
surf_imex    
surf_ing    
surf_inspire    
surf_island    
surf_ivory    
surf_jenocide    
surf_juturna    
surf_krow10    
surf_lavaflow    
surf_lessons    
surf_lore_e    
surf_marbleblast_e    
surf_me    
surf_mellow    
surf_mesa_mine    
surf_mjk    
surf_nebula    
surf_neo_njv    
surf_neon_final    
surf_network_2009_sh    
surf_not_so_beginner    
surf_not_so_disaster    
surf_not_so_sinister    
surf_ny_platinum    
surf_oasis    
surf_oma    
surf_orthodox_fix    
surf_paddy    
surf_palm    
surf_pathfinder    
surf_physics    
surf_pinkbash    
surf_presmon_fix    
surf_rainbow    
surf_reflex    
surf_rez    
surf_rocco_v2    
surf_sandtrap    
surf_sandtrap2    
surf_saturday_fix    
surf_seaworld_fix    
surf_semesterbreak    
surf_spacejam    
surf_summer    
surf_sundown_njv    
surf_sunnyhappylove    
surf_sup    
surf_surprise    
surf_syria    
surf_tensile_njv    
surf_the_gloaming    
surf_tomb_redone    
surf_torrent_njv_fix    
surf_twilight    
surf_vegetables    
surf_waterworks    
surf_wood    
surf_zbig_rc2    
surf_zealand    
surf_zor    

As you can probably tell there are a pretty wide amount and variety of tier two maps. This should go to show that even just including every half decent map in the tier 1-2 pool gets.. Messy, for lack of a better word. I think you could make a compelling argument that having your player base be somewhat familiar with the map pool is more advantageous to grow your community, as opposed to simply slapping every map of a given tier on a server, indifferent to the actual difficult/quality. Indeed even if you sort your map-pool by just two tiers, you'll potentially run into problems of difficulty/expectations of your player base. Given tiers are inherently subjective we do have quite a gap between the easiest tier 1 map and the hardest tier 2 map. Some tier 2 maps can be pretty annoying for even a slightly experienced player to get through, and even in the list I posted above there are a fair few maps that aren't of, what I would deem, to be a good enough quality that it could retain a newbie/lesser experienced player.

I have two simple proposals, given all this, which more or less gravitate towards the same ideas. The first one, which I probably favour the most, is to name your server "Tier 1 beginner surf" or something along those lines and have all of the tier 1 maps + all of the easy tier 2 maps of "good" quality. This would help the map-pool be less overwhelming and in general of a higher quality/lower difficulty, meaning a better possibility of retaining a rookie, randomly joining the server. The justification for the addition of the high-quality tier 2 maps on an advertised "Tier 1" server would be, that 99.9% of maps are tiered for 66/64 tick, meaning even the subjective tiering is inherently inaccurate, due to the change of settings we play them on. Easy tier 2 maps on 102 tick are usually as hard as the hardest/worst tier 1 maps, if not even easier, meaning you might as well add them under the umbrella of a "Tier 1" server to create less confusion and to not create an expectation of the huge tier 2 list to be included on the server. The other proposal would simply be to name it tier 1-2 and include more of the tier 2 maps but still stop before the harder portion/lowest quality portion of the maps. Of course based on the same argumentation as prior but including the assumption that you want to have a bigger map-pool for reasons I can only assume at this time.

Also if you decide to accept either of the proposals I'll edit the lists to only include easy and high-quality tier 2 maps or easy-medium difficulty + medium-high quality tier 2 maps respectively. Including all the tier 1 (probably) in both.

Of course, there's a margin of error, given it's just my subjective perception of the maps, but the edited list, so far it comes to see the light, should mostly be looked at as a starting point either way, up for argumentation.

• Like 2

Also I should probably add that I don't think the points on the RTV server should at all be connected to the 24/7 servers

surf_rainbow is quite a peculiar tier 2 map in terms surf, due the close quarters, short ramps and constant turning, but it's also quite long coming in at around 1:10 with a decent run. Given those issues, I would deem the map very unlikely to retain a newbie/less-experienced player, especially one that doesn't know about saveloccing. Not to mention the aesthetics being pretty dull doesn't exactly help its case.

Edited by Oli

Right, on a personal level I'm a fan of a challenge and I would hope others are as well since that's the way you improve. Problem is though from a "business" perspective it's not a good idea to put in this kind of challenge, given the skill level of the majority of the csgo surfing community. If we were to throw in maps like this, the gap between the easiest and hardest maps would simply be too big. It would be very likely for the average player to be turned away by this kind of map.